Image courtesy of hyena reality at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Why hello Friday, pleasure to see you again! The theme for this Weekender is music, art and relaxation. There are plenty of free concerts and enjoyable outdoor activities for the whole family. As usual, we have a list of fun ideas for you to try, whether you’re in the Inland Empire, Downtown LA or the Westside.
We try to cover a little bit of everything, but if you have an event you want the world to know about, leave us a comment or send us an email and we will try our best to list it for you!
In this week’s L.A. Weekender:
1. Movies in the Park: TGIF! Bring the family, pack a picnic and settle into your lawn chairs for Movies in the Park at De Anza Park in Ontario. Watch a free screening of Wreck-it Ralph while enjoying an evening under the stars. The fun starts at 7:00 p.m.
2. Friday Nights Live!: Head over to Claremont tonight and catch a number of free concerts happening around town as part of their Friday Nights Live! The smooth sounds of jazz can be heard at Village Square Public Plaza, or if you’re looking for something slightly more eclectic, join Steve Rushingwind at City Hall Plaza for Native American flute music.
3. Chinatown Summer Nights: Dance. Listen. Eat. Shop. Experience. That is the goal of Chinatown Summer Nights and because the first one was such a success, we had to recommend it to you again. Presented by LA Chinatown and KCRW 89.9, this event is ideal for a summer evening out. Several DJs keep the dance floor busy while local bands play live on the LA Weekly stage. A number of gourmet food trucks and Chinatown restaurants are open so you can nosh to your hearts content or shop the local stores and check out the LA Craft Experience market. Free. Saturday, July 20.
4. Summer and Music: If indie rock is your thing, you might want to check out Summer and Music in downtown Long Beach. The Olms with Pete Yorn and J.D. King will be jamming out Saturday, July 20 from 4 – 8 p.m. along with a number of other indie artists. There is plenty of dining, dancing and entertainment to check out once you get down there (and parking is cheap!) Click here for additional information.
5. LACMA: Sunday. Lazy, relaxing, enjoyable Sunday. After a leisurely brunch with your family, head over to LACMA for Andell Family Sundays. This Sunday features Hans Richter: Encounters. The exhibit encourages guests to express themselves through movement and painting. A number of other exhibits are sure to capture the attention of the whole family.