We have been seeing yellow and breathing citrus lately, what with the Upland Lemon Festival* just three weeks away and we don’t mind! There are many benefits to loving lemons (even beyond lemonade and lemon-meringue pie!) and we thought we would share a few with you.
5 Reasons to Love Lemons
Photo courtesy of from Suat Eman freedigitalphotos.net
1. Grease remover: Have you ever tried to wash a pan after frying bacon, only to have your sponge end up a sudsy, greasy disaster and the pan still smelling like smoke? Next time you cook a greasy meal, cut a lemon in half and scrub your pan with it before washing with soap. The juice breaks up the grease, removes the smell and makes it ready for a proper cleaning.
2. Hair lightener: If you want a few streaks of gold in your hair this summer, try spraying your strands with lemon juice. Just squeeze fresh lemon juice into a cup and add an equal amount of water to it. Put the concoction in a spray bottle, shake well, and douse your hair with it. Then, spend a few hours in the sun and watch as the lemon juice lightens your hair all by itself!
3. Nail strengthener: Mix together olive oil and lemon juice and soak your nails for a spell. The mixture strengthens your nails and gives them a healthy glow. Think of it as a keratin pick-me-up.
4. Detoxer: Lemon water, tea and juice are the best remedies for when you want to give your body a safe and healthy cleanse. Lemons do an excellent job of clearing constipation, heartburn and gas while also helping you feel revitalized. (Bonus: Lemons also help clear your skin!)
5. Anxiety reliever: Lemon oil relieves stress and anxiety and aids in alertness and focus. The next time you are feeling that 2 p.m. slump or feel the need to breathe, consider purchasing a lemon air freshener for your office or lightly inhaling the scent of a fresh lemon. Simultaneous relaxation and focus in the space of a few seconds.
What do you use lemons for? Tell us in the comments section below!
*The Upland Lemon Festival is produced by The Learning Centers at Fairplex. We are honored to once again be a part of a tradition that celebrates the citrus roots of the Inland Empire.