The Mother Road is full of fun and adventure for the entire family! The history of Route 66 is a nostalgic road trip of iconic highway attractions, neon signs, Wigwam motels and all the kitsch that makes up the vanishing American roadside.
This year’s fair theme Get Your Kicks…at the La County Fair will take all of our visitors on a tour down the Mother Road!
Route 66 has cultural significance to the West Coast and the history of the United States. It was originally used by those who migrated west during the dust bowl in the 1930s and during the Great Depression. The trip begins in Chicago, Illinois and takes you through Missouri, Oklahoma, Kansas, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and ends at the famous Santa Monica pier in California.
Earlier this year, our President & CEO Miguel Santana took a trip down the #MotherRoad! He shared with us his favorite places to visit off the Route!
If you are thinking of taking the trip this year, here are some of his favorite stops! His trip took 6 days but you can take up to two weeks if you have more time.
- Illinois: You don’t want to miss the historic markers of the beginning of your journey. Get your camera ready to capture the Route 66 Begin sign! We also paid a visit to Wrigley Field and took a tour to learn more about this historic place!
- After traveling through Missouri and Oklahoma we arrived in Galena, Kansas here you will find the iconic Kan-O-Tex Gas Station! This gas station is what inspired the character Tow Mater in the Disney movie Cars.
- Head on over to Texas and stop at the world-famous Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo. It has become a ritual site for those who travel the Mother Road. If you want to leave your mark at this stop make sure and BYOSP (Bring your own spray paint)!
- The fun continues in the Land of Enchantment: New Mexico. New Mexico is a mecca for iconic churches and cathedrals; you can find a full listing here. Make sure you visit Saint Joseph’s Church in Pueblo of Laguna.
- Once you are in California you will pass through Yermo and there you can visit Calico Ghost Town. Learn all about this old west mining town that has been around since 1881 and the spooky legends that surround it.
We hope this inspires you to plan your own trip across the Mother Road! Make sure and save the date to attend the LA County Fair from August 31st to September 23rd where we will take you on a fun journey from Chicago to Santa Monica with plenty of #selfie spots along the way!