It is a cloudy Friday afternoon in Los Angeles but we are revving up for a weekend of fun at Fairplex. There is plenty to do this weekend in Los Angeles if you’re willing to throw on a scarf and jacket to brave the “freezing” nighttime weather. (Don’t hate, East Coast, don’t hate.) So without further ado, here are five things to do in LA this weekend:
Five Things To Do In LA
1. First Fridays: First Fridays are a perfect way to relax after a long day at work. Venice and Santa Monica dwellers can visitAbbot Kinney First Fridays and nosh on some food truck grub, shop the unique boutiques for art and clothing, and listen to live music. The Bixby Knolls district in Long Beach offers similar activities, with venues and restaurants come alive with live music and visual artistic displays for First Fridays Long Beach. Meanwhile out in our neck of the woods, Claremont Village is hosting their First Friday Art Walk where guests can view unique arts & crafts while dining at some of Claremont’s best restaurants.
2. Horse Expo: Horse enthusiasts may want to visit our campus this weekend for the Horse Expo Pomona show. Equine experts can purchase saddles, horse riding attire, horse trailers, books and more in our expo halls or watch breed demonstrations at FairView Farms. Delicious food vendors line the walkways and country music can be heard all over campus. Their schedule is jam-packed with fun shows and workshops so if you’re horse crazy, check it out from Friday, Feb. 7 – Sunday, Feb. 9. You can view a full schedule of events here.
3. Bacon Festival: Calling all non-vegetarian foodies and bacon lovers! Of all the things to do in LA this weekend, this event is the one for you. The annual Los Angeles Bacon Festival is happening this Saturday at the Petersen Auto Museum in LA. Spend the afternoon strolling Wilshire Boulevard: try a bacon-infused cocktail and sink your teeth into myriad bacon dishes. It’s more than just your basic bacon-and-eggs combo. Tickets cost about $40 each with VIP admission offering early admission and cocktail tastings. As the creators of the L.A. County Fair, you know we recommend this one.
4. Beatles 50th Anniversary: Today (Friday) marks the 50th anniversary of the Beatles’ debut in the United States, so naturally LA, the capital of entertainment, will be celebrating. Tonight the Egyptian Theatre will be celebrating The Beatles with a showing of Across the Universe. A discussion will follow with Angie and Ruth McCartney. Tickets are $11 per person and can be purchased here.
If you still haven’t reached your Beatles fix for the weekend, the Paley Center will be celebrating too. Experience The Beatles’ debut as it happened with a viewing of the complete Ed Sullivan Show that acclaimed day when the Beatles came to America for the first time. The mania starts on Saturday, Feb. 8 and runs through Sunday, Feb. 9 and is free to the public. For more information, click here.
5. NHRA Winternationals: If art and horses aren’t quite to your liking, the Circle K NHRA Winternationals might hit the spot. The drag strip is alive and roaring this weekend as professional racers from around the country compete in the first event of the drag racing season. Races go all weekend through Sunday, Feb. 9. Click here to purchase tickets.
The Fairplex L.A. Weekender highlights events throughout Los Angeles County, from the heart of downtown to the beach cities to the IE. Additional information about all listings can be found at the event’s official website. If you have suggestions for an event, leave a comment in the box below or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org