Do you hear that? The birds chirping, the beat of the heat wave, splashes from the pool? That’s because it’s Friday… Given that Independence Day is less than a week away, we thought we would keep it fairly mellow this weekend so you can get your family ready for the fireworks festivities that are sure to dominate next weekend.
So without further ado, this week’s L.A. Weekender:
Photo credit: Port of Los Angeles
1. Cars & Stripes Forever!: If 4th of July excitement is hitting you a little early this weekend, head on down to Port of Los Angeles and check out their 5th annual Cars & Stripes Forever show. Check out more than 100 cars on display, ride the Red Car, and grab a drink or two from the beer garden. Make sure you stick around until 9:20 p.m. for the fireworks show! Admission is free.
2. Komodo Block Party: A last-Friday-of-the-month tradition since 2010, the Komodo Block Party brings the best of an L.A. Summer to the corner of Pico & Robertson with food trucks and live music. An Instagram photo contest rounds out the list of activities. 6-10 p.m. See website for details.
3. The Color Run: If you planned to work-out at some point this weekend consider joining The Color Run, happening at Fairplex on Saturday. We already covered what The Color Run entails yesterday, and getting doused in pink, green, blue and yellow sounds like a good way to kick off any Saturday of the summer.
4. Claremont Village Blues & Brews: If you’re feeling a mellow Saturday night, take a stroll down to Claremont Village for the Blues & Brews night. Craft beer tastings and food samplings will be featured at a number of businesses while a continual line-up of live blues music creates a relaxing summer evening atmosphere (via ray at www.dresshead.com). For more information on the event or to purchase tickets, visit www.claremontbluesandbrews.com.
5. California Science Center: If the mere thought of outdoor festivals and running a 5k makes you break into a sweat, turn your back on all things outdoors and head to the California Science Center. Take a peek at the Endeavor space shuttle and more than 100 hands-on science experiments–all for free. If you feel like shelling out a few extra dollars, watch a film at the museum’s IMAX theater. Just because it’s summer doesn’t mean you have to succumb to the heat every day 🙂
We hope you have a wonderful and relaxing weekend. Check back here on Wednesday for a special 4th of July edition of the weekender.
Comment below if you have any suggestions on what to check out this weekend!