I don’t know about you, but I’ll take pie over cake any time, and covering the All American Pie contest earlier this week was pure mouth-watering heaven.
The contest was intense as judges lingered over each entry, taking just one more bite (two or three – wouldn’t you?) to make sure they picked the right winners. And they lingered, then lingered some more. The entries were that good!
Finally the ribbons were awarded and proud winners were photographed by friends and family (who could finally enjoy slices of their own).
Here they are:
BEST CUSTARD PIE (from left):
1) Jessica Kubel of Monrovia, Key Lime Pie
2) Emily Coffman of Moreno Valley, Roasted Acorn Squash and Apple Pie
3) Norma Barajas of Pasadena, Key Lime Pie
BEST CREAM PIE (from left):
1) Peggy Linberg of Upland, Strawberry Cream Pie with a Triple Berry Layer
2) Marina Castle of North Hollywood,
Seven Layer Dulce de Leche-Peanut Butter Mousse Toffee Cream Pie;
3) Dawn-Michele Anaya of Whittier, Key Lime Pie.
BEST DOUBLE-CRUST FRUIT PIE (from left):
1) Rebecca Mourer of La Habra, Blueberry-Raspberry Pie
2) Robin van Geest of Norco, Caramel Apple Pie
3) Avis N. Mitchell of Fontana, Avis’ Hot Apple Pie.
And there’s more food contest action to meet any appetite in Culinary Styles (you’ll find that in the Grandstand). Don’t miss these, bon appetit!
Cupcake Baking Contest: Saturday, Sept. 11, 1 p.m.
European Pastry Contest: Sunday, Sept. 12, 1 p.m.
Tamale! Tamale! Tamale!: Wednesday, Sept. 15, 1 p.m.
Enchilada Contest: Wednesday, Sept. 15, 4 p.m.
The Perfect Guacamole and Salsa Dip Contest: Wednesday, Sept. 15, 7 p.m.
Run for the Fair Contest: Thursday, Sept. 16, 7:30 p.m.
Fleischmann’s Yeast Bake for the Cure Baking Contest: Friday, Sept. 17, 7 p.m.
Ghirardelli Chocolate Championship: Saturday, Sept. 18, 1 p.m.
Blue Ribbon Chocolate Chip Cookie & Brownie Contest: Saturday, Sept. 18, 7 p.m.
Big Baking & Recipe Contest: Sunday, Sept. 19, 7 p.m.
The Perfect Reception Cake: Saturday, Sept. 25, 1 p.m.
Karo Perfect Pie Contest: Saturday, Sept. 25, 7 p.m.
Shelton’s Leftover Turkey Main Dish Contest: Sunday, Sept. 26, 7 p.m.
Pumpkin Contest: Oct. 2, 1 p.m.
Homemade Pizza Contest: Oct. 3, 1 p.m.