We officially have 5 days left of the Fair. It seems like only yesterday that we were welcoming in the sea lions and setting up Pencils 2 Pixels and yet somehow, we have reached the last week at the speed of light.
In case you haven’t had a chance to check out everything, here are the top five attractions that we recommend…
1. New exhibits: Although we are steeped in tradition, there are a few exhibits that only make their way to the Fair once–simply because we believe guests should be exposed to a wide variety of experiences. Last year we had Genius and Rock of Ages, which was all about American innovation and the history of music respectively. This year our Pencils 2 Pixels exhibit, Beneath the Sea: An Underwater Adventure and Star Trek: The Exhibition are the once-in-a-lifetime must-dos.
2. Food novelties: You can buy a burger anywhere. Packages of Oreos and a bucket of chicken can be found on almost every corner grocery store. But deep-fried Oreos, double-cheeseburgers sandwiched between Krispy Kreme doughnuts and giant turkey legs are a rarity outside the Fair grounds. We’re all about special indulgences. We recommend you take advantage of it too.
3. FairView Farms: There are baby animals everywhere at the Farm. There’s also pig racing, goat milking and animal shows aplenty. FairView Farms is a long-time favorite of the Fair and it’d be a shame to miss out!
4. New carnival rides: Mach 1, Freestyle and Insanity are the three new thrillers gracing the Fairgrounds this year. You know you want to get spun around til’ you can’t stand, plunge from the highest ride at the Fair to the ground and get that adrenaline pumping! Or if carnival rides aren’t your thing you could always opt for the bungee jump…
5. Mysteries of the Amazon: Our Flower & Garden Pavilion changes themes each year but I have to say, this year’s theme is f u n. Upon entering the pavilion you immediately feel a sense of zen as waterfalls cascade, flowers and birds fill the scene and the sounds of Brazil fill the air. The Atrium continues the South American theme, featuring a sloth, tropical birds, reptiles and plants that make you feel as if you’ve been transported to the Nile, rather than the Fairgrounds.
Of course, to each their own. Everyone always has at least one “must-do” at the Fair. What are your favorite activities at the Fair?