Can you believe it? We’re just 63 days away from the 90th anniversary of the L.A. County Fair. One, it feels like just yesterday I was telling you about last year’s Fair. Two, the Fair is celebrating 90 years! That’s huge. I’m…well, I’m overwhelmed by all this. If the Fair looks this fantastic at 90, I’m hopeful for my future. I can just see it. “Why, Fair-ey Blogster, you don’t look a day over 75!” “Yes, and I’m actually 103. It’s all those hot dogs on a stick I enjoyed at the L.A. County Fair.”
Seriously, with only 63 days to go, it isn’t too early to plan your visit. We open on Friday, Aug. 31 – the earliest opening date ever for the Fair. We just couldn’t wait until September to see you! Opening weekend, Labor Day weekend, we have a ton of great savings and promotions. Visit our promotions page at lacountyfair.com for more details but I’ll tell you there is $1 admission for the first three hours of each of the four days (Aug. 31-Sept. 3; 3-6 p.m. on Friday, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday-Monday). There are soft drink and carnival ride savings, too. Check the website for details.
If you haven’t heard, we have a season pass that includes parking! We had a ton of people ask for the parking addition, so I think this will be very popular. You can still the admission pass without parking if you’d like.
There are a ton of special event days, including pre-Fair blood drives where donors receive a free ticket to the fair, so make sure you check out the entire calendar. I’ll be posting more about blood drives soon.
Ok, so start marking your calendars with me. You can almost x out today already!
After greeting nearly 1.5 million Fairgoers last year and housing critters great and small, the Big Red Barn in FairView Farms gladly welcomed a fresh coat of paint this week in preparation of the Fair’s 90th anniversary celebration this year.
Looking brigther than ever on the outside, the Barn will feature all the amusing and fascinating exhibits on the inside that Fairguests have come to anticipate and expect. Sky Shivers, our resident cowboy and farm expert, will be back to greet and educate visitors to the Barn. Don’t miss his interactive show Sky and Friends, where he teaches all of us about farm animals.
The campus is changing daily as we prepare for the biggest party of the year. Keep checking back for updates!
OK all you 18 years and younger artists, crafters, bakers, inventors and creators: you have less than two weeks to get your entry forms in for the L.A. County Fair’s America’s Kids’ competitions. Hurry now! We’re using snail mail and all entries must be postmarked on or before June 28. You know you want to win a blue ribbon!
If you haven’t decided what to enter, visit the competitions page at lacountyfair.com and check out the list of all the contests and competitions featured in America’s Kids. Only entry forms need to be in on or by June 28. Entry drop-off is July 21 for most contests. Some entries, like cakes for the creative cake competition, need to be dropped off the day of the respective contest so make sure you carefully read the rules for each contest you enter.
America’s Kids’ theme is A Living Library of Fun so most of the contests have a book or character theme. Here are some of the ones I think sound cool:
- Mystical, Magical Wizard Wands or Hats – inspired by Harry Potter of course, you get to decorate your own hat or wand. My hat, the one I wear when I’m blogging, has little Crookshanks all around the brim. You know, cuz I love cats.
- Build a Tree House – if you are a fan of Jack and Annie and the Magic Tree House series, well, you’ve got this one.
- Mythical Creature Creation – make a model of your favorite mythical creature. Yes, even a gnome. Although gnomes creep me out. My biggest fear is seeing that travel site gnome at the edge of my desk or outside my front door. Holy cow.
- Family Recycled Robots – this one is for the whole family. Watched it live at last year’s Fair. Was great fun and the creativity rocked. Make a robot out of all-things recycled.
- Family Talent Show – C’mon. A family sing of “Do-Re-Mi”? Or go fun retro and so something from the Jackson 5. Saw two sisters sing “Popular” from Wicked. Suuuuperb.
These are just a handful of the contests. So, hurry! Time’s running out. June 28!