There’s something about summer that makes you want to soak in every moment of free time. It seems that as soon as Friday evening rolls around, the fun begins. This weekend is no exception. There’s plenty to do, in whatever neighborhood you call home.
Image courtesy of dan at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
1. Cinema on the Street: After witnessing the Star Wars Relay-Run, head over to Third Street Promenade for Cinema on the Street. Bring the family, a few blankets and lawn chairs and settle in for some outdoor movie fun. Tonight’s feature is “Back to the Future,” starting at 7:30 p.m.
2. Tattoo & Body Art Expo: Fairplex is busy all weekend with the Tattoo & Body Art Expo. If you have a love for tattoos and piercings, stop by Expo Hall 4 and see hundreds of tattoo artists and piercers do their thing and enjoy live music, contests and other festivities.
3. Downtown Pomona Art Walk: On the second and last Saturday of every month, downtown Pomona becomes a marketplace of creativity at the Art Walk. Live music plays all night while art galleries host artist receptions for their newest pieces. Restaurants, studios and shops are open late for those looking for a drink, some eats and a little late night shopping. This weekend’s art walk starts at 3 p.m. and goes until 9 p.m.
4. Grease is the word: A Hollywood Bowl tradition, the Grease Sing-A-Long returns this Saturday night. The whole family can participate in pre-show festivities and sing their hearts out as the musical plays on the Bowl’s giant screen. If the Pink Ladies and Danny Zuko exude summer nights nostalgia for you, it’s worth checking out.
5. Griffith Park Nature & Scavenger Hunt: Sunday promises to be beautiful, meaning being outside is practically mandatory. Griffith Park Ranger Russell Brown leads family-friendly hikes from the Autry Museum and into the wildlife of the park. Each hike lasts approximately 45-minutes. Afterwards, join in a brief guided treasure hunt on the museum grounds or take continue to explore the museum and surrounding areas on your own.
Whatever you choose to do, just remember to enjoy yourself Happy Friday from the L.A. Weekender! Check back every Friday morning for fun ideas for the weekend.